Monday, October 02, 2006

How do you feel about Jason Akermanis?

Everyone seems to have an opinion of him, but my own oscillates fairly rapidly between detest and respect.

He is an undeniable loudmouth who has managed to offend many in the footballing world (including myself) with ill-considered statements and idiotic football-show behaviour. But he also tells the truth. Never have I seen him give anything except a full and truthful account of himself, his actions and the situation as he sees it. That kind of honesty is such a rarity in public life that I can’t help but admire him. If only more were willing to risk their necks and speak their mind we might not all be in so much trouble.

He was ‘speaking out of turn’ again on The Footy Show on Thursday I gather. According to the Age saying,

'that Simon Black would win the Lions' best and fairest, that former Lions assistant coach Daryn Cresswell had been responsible for leaking stories during the year, not him, and that despite the club being set to lose $1.5 million this year the chief executive had awarded himself a pay rise.'

The western bulldogs media department will certainly have their work cut out for them if he does end up a doggie, and I do think he could be more judicious in providing comment to anyone who asks, but I dearly hope he continues to speak the truth as he sees it and damn the consequences. I kind of hope we all do.

No comments: