Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Stick damn mud, stick.

Robert Walls is unpleasant. I don’t like the way he commentates and I don’t like the way he writes. Without trying to sound like a Sydney club official (I think the commentators are right, Sydney do play ugly football, particularly when they are beating my team on the weekend), his commentary is always negative and it isn’t nice to listen to. It seems to me the commentary of someone who would rather be doing than talking about it.

His recent article on the Geelong football club certainly doesn’t pull any punches, and what he says about their playing is largely true. To the outside world the players do need a good kick up the caboose.

His article is one of many in recent to carve up the cats in the last few weeks, and I for one would appreciate it if all of them would confine their commentary to the football at hand. I have a couple of friends with a serious love of the cattars and I must admit their love is infectious. This makes it very hard to watch as commentator after washed-up-ex-footballing-hack, writes really soul destroying things about them. The criticism of play I can handle, it’s the thinly veiled innuendo about the coach that I will not.

I don’t think there is a single AFL fan left in Melbourne that hasn’t heard the rumours, but there is a reason why they are still only that. No newspaper has got enough evidence to prove anything, and until they do Bomber gets reasonable doubt just like everyone else (David Hicks excluded, obviously). I don’t want to hear how he’s ‘going through hell’ or ‘lost a lot of weight in the off season’, it is deeply unfair and is clearly now damaging the club. Stop it. End of subject.

No comments: