Thursday, August 31, 2006

Democratic process?

Thursday is the day I pretend I am going to work from home. So I stay in bed too long and listen to talkback radio until I’m so angry I have to get up. Then I work from home.

This morning Jon Faine was talking about the recent right-to-life campaign against Steve Bracks and Rob Hulls, which has consisted of a massive flyer drop of a letter and graphic drawings of partial birth abortion. The letter suggests that Steve Bracks wants to sneak into the homes of all pregnant women and kill their babies while they are sleeping, or something to that effect.

Anyway, Faine went particularly hard at a woman from the ALP women’s lobby this morning when she suggested that while she advocated removing abortion from the crimes act (what this debate is actually about) she did not have alternative legislation to present. He suggested that she was either naive or ignorant or both for proposing the change without having a ironclad legislative alternative. Which is just plain silly. Plenty of lobbyists advocate change without coming up with the laws themselves, because that’s what the government are for. Perhaps I am missing something but I always thought it (democracy) went like this, the public vote in politicians to represent their views and enact laws which best reflects those views.

NOT public changes mind on important issue, writes up whole new load of legislation and consults with itself, before handing everything ready to go to the politicians (who spent the morning having high tea at the Windsor one presumes). Am I wrong?

No comments: