Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ready arms

It appears that the history war is hotting up…again.

I consider myself a historian, not because I have a swag of books to my name, but because by both accident and design that’s the way my brain works. I love history and I think that if you teach it with passion and engagement you can encourage that passion and engagement in your student, but I know that is far from easy.

As the Howard government calls together a history summit this week, I would like to add my significantly smaller voice to that of Stuart Macintyre, and say that I like nothing more than to see history teaching and learning on the national agenda. But, I shall wait with baited breath to hear the results of this summit. With only 3 school teachers invited it is clear that school teaching is not the real agenda. The Howard government needs a win this week, and I can’t help but think that they might fall back on that favourite old ditty, national identity.

We shall see.

No comments: