Tuesday, August 22, 2006

more than a little disturbed

For Christmas last year (yes I know that was a while ago now) my lovely significant other gave me a book called Do Not Disturb: Is the Media Failing Australia, a compilation of a series of essays by famous and interesting journalism and academic types. ‘What a romantic gift!’ I hear you say. Well, it gets worse, his mother gave him a copy for Christmas as well.

Sorry, I digress. I finally picked up this book this morning for the tram ride to work and found it an unpleasant but worthwhile read. While I have only read the first piece by Eric Beecher I confess to finding it a very enlightening read, not so much because it is saying something I didn’t already know about media, but because it is drawing connections between problems I had otherwise thought of as separate. Suffice to say I am finding it all very interesting in light of the bits and pieces coming out of the Australian and New Zealand School of Government’s Media and Government dinner that was held last night.

Crikey never seem to stop banging on about the media ownership laws, and while I always agreed with them in principle, I now know the laws are only going mean more of the same or worse from the media outlets in Australia. I dont know what the answer is, but I would like one if anyone has any suggestions?

No comments: