Monday, August 10, 2009

Time and tide

A week is a long time in football, or so the well-worn cliché goes. Last week the Melbourne footy club were being accused of tanking, sending players off for surgery, and ‘experimentation’. This week, the collective football community has conceded that Melbourne are not tanking, they are just that bad. The less said about the North Melbourne v Melbourne game the better.

I went to the friday night game at the MCG, Geelong v Blues. I made the journey with two cats fans and was looking forward to a win. I thought it would be fun to see what its like for fans who win on regular basis! Sadly it was not to be. I fear the cat’s era of domination cannot hold much longer, injuries are mounting and age is catching up with some of their biggest stars.

And while I know the ebb of this Geelong side will upset the many loyal cats fans I know, their tide will rise again. That’s one of the things I like most about football, the ebb and flow of teams. And while they undertake the inevitable ‘rebuilding phase’ their absence from the top of the ledger makes room for other sides that desperately deserve some time in the sun. Melbourne, Fremantle, North…



Actually, we all deserve some time in the sun. It was frickin’ freezing at the football on Friday night, despite the six layers of wool I had on, and I am afraid I wont ever feel my toes again. This cold and windy winter has brought me more misery than just endless dees losses and frostbite and I, personally, am ready for it to be over.

Bring on the sun, bring on the bbqs, and, most importantly, bring on the finals!

No comments: