Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Blah, Blah, Tank, Blah, Blah, Blah

Seriously who really cares? I am so monumentally over all of this talk about tanking.

I like that we have a competition that is designed to try and keep competing clubs as close together in ability, resources and opportunity. It makes sure that we do not have the same team winning each September.

Did you get bored with Brisbane won 3 in a row? I did. Are you bored now watching the fluctuations in Hawthorn’s form and the sudden rise of the perpetual promisers St Kilda? I’m not. What are the chances everything will change completely by the time finals 2010 roll around? Pretty good, actually.



There is an incentive to lose. So what. There really isn’t any great incentive to win for any of the clubs outside of finals contention. Better they get their guys patched up and ready for a good preseason than have them play injured for another month.

There is an incentive to experiment and play people out of position. So what. I doubt many of the players object - it might be their one chance to prove themselves to be the gun forward/backman/midfielder/ruckman they always dreamed of being. Good luck to them.

And OMG, is it really that difficult as a supporter? It just means I am happy either way. I am happy when we win, because winning is what we are here for, and I am happy when we lose because it gives us the opportunity for more wins in the future.

It is true that I have lowered expectations – its what you do to survive tough times at your football club. Maybe I would feel differently if I was a Collingwood supporter and I always expected to reach September. But I don’t. And I trust that the peeps who run my football club are trying their hardest to make sure the club sticks around, not just this year, but for decades to come.

To those muppet Dees supporters who sang the Richmond club song after the game (there were probably two people if we are honest and not looking for a good headline) just STFU and go back to the pub, you are just encouraging the hysteria.

End transmission. Let us speak of tanking no more, lest my head explode from rage.

No comments: