Monday, March 19, 2007

Honda's earth dream

I'm guessing not to many people watch the Australian GP yesterday. Thats okay, you didn't miss very much. When the winning driver laps pretty much every other car in the race, you can tell there is going to be yet another long and boring season of Formula One ahead.

One mildly interesting thing that I did notice during yesterday's race was the shiny new Honda paint job, entirely sans advertising. It looks like this:



There is a URL on the back of the car, www.myearthdream.com.

There was very little publicity about this as a part of the reaceday coverage, so until I went to the site I had no real idea what Honda was up to. Have a quiz and see for youself.

While I'm not sure if this campaign is the most effective way to change the world, it is interesting to note that environmental concerns are even making an impact on one of the most environmentally devastating sports around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I followed the link, and even checked out the list of "pledges".

I noticed that none of them included "I pledge, as a car producer and racing team, to offset the carbon emissions of my participation in motor sports".

Anonymous said...

Actually, Forumla One have been buying carbon offsets since 1997, so in that respect they are acutally doing a lot better than other industries.

Still, I think in the long run it would be better if they didn't create the carbon in the first place, then there would be nothing to offset.

see
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.
php/id/56953 for details.