Thursday, July 30, 2009

History never repeats, I tell myself before I go to sleep...

(with apologies to Split Enz)

I have been taking a stroll down memory lane with a copy of Football Ltd by Garry Linnell. It is truly great football book wich not only gives a fascinating insight into corporatisation of the AFL, but also a beautiful and terrifying snapshot of the recklessness and hedonism of entrepreneurial business during the era.

I have just finished reading the chapter on the creation of the Brisbane Bears, their disastrous move to Carrara on the Gold Coast and the alliance with Christopher Skase that ended in debt and tears. So it is with wry amusement that I note the signing of NRL player Karmichael Hunt to the soon-to-be-realised Gold Coast Football Club. I can’t help wondering, if the Bears had managed a coup like that in 1988 instead of signing fading star Warwick Capper, would the Queensland public (and everyone else for that matter) have paid a bit more attention? Could the path of football history have been changed if we had just thought to poach rugby players sooner?



Good luck to Hunt and the GCFC. I hope it is an experiment that works. And I hope that they have all read Football Ltd, because within its pages are the inglorious mistakes the league and its clubs made in the pursuit of expansion. Mistakes the GCFC would be wise not to repeat.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Oh God, I remember that Brisbane Bears logo so hard. It was the most sought-after club card in the football-card-collecting world of grade 5. Those club cards had a name..."face cards" or something?

We used to play 'flicks' for them. Awesome.

In more related news, your thoughts on the new GC jumper? It's utterly uninspiring for mine.

cc said...

I assume it is only matter of time before they announce they will be the Gold Coast Dolphins/Sharks (probably not Stingrays, their reputation has been somewhat marred). A new, more complicated, and probably hideous jumper design with ensue.

I recommend they get the 7 year old who designed the Port jumper a few weeks ago.