Thursday, April 24, 2008

Neitz




It is always sad to watch a footballer finishing off his career. Particularly when the heart and mind are there, but the body just can't do it anymore. More so when it is your own team captain.

David Neitz has been an excellent footballer and a strong leader. Under his leadership, the Melbourne football club has had a quiet strength and stoicism that has served it well through the ups and downs of the seasons and got the job done with a minimum of fuss. I do hope that if he wants to return after this injury he will get that opportunity but if he is forced to retire he can begin his life after football proud of his achievements.

Chris Connelly described him thus:

"I have never come across a player who loved his football club or would do more for his football club than David Neitz," Connolly said. "He is the most passionate club man I think I've ever met."


I don't think there is any higher praise.

No comments: