Thursday, December 21, 2006

Retirement

One of my greatest irritations with sports journalism is the pre-emptive retirement story. I just don’t understand why sports journalists cant wait until a player has actually announced their retirement before they begin eulogising their career.

Endless articles have appeared in the papers today to celebrate the career of Shane Warne, but the man hasn’t announced a single thing yet. If I were him I would have hoped that those doing the celebrating would respect me enough to let me announce my retirement before they start talking about it. Sadly this is rarely the case.

Still, we knew his retirement was coming, and all I’d like to say on the matter is this: given that he is quite probably the dumbest man to have ever strolled the face of the earth, he is an absolute genius.







Photo credit: The Age

No comments: