Friday, July 14, 2006

AFL WORLD OF ADVERTISING

I figured I might as well begin this little sojourn into the wonderful world of the electric internet with a confession. I have been to AFL World.

During a lunch break this week an equally footballing tragic friend of mine and I made the trek and paid over the hefty attendance fee to be perhaps unsurprisingly disappointed.

I’m not really sure if you call it a museum, an entertainment centre or as their advertising suggests a ‘sensation’ but no amount of Naomi Klein-style homework could prepare me for the bombardment of advertising and product placement that awaited me on the other side of the lift doors.

The exhibition was inseparable from its advertising and the only section to be sans-advertising was the woefully inadequate Hall of Fame, which had bee clearly neglected because it could not provide an advertising windfall. AFL World is less a ‘sensation’ and more a sponsor’s dream.

The place isn’t all bad I guess, as long as you took a smaller football-loving relative along (I recommend someone around hip height) you could probably have a fairly good time. Just be prepared for the inevitable questions… Can I have a coke? Why can’t I have an xbox? Can we watch channel 9 tonight? Why don’t we listen to triple M?

No comments: